Wednesday, August 29, 2012

{Sponsored} Operation Smiles

A couple of years ago, in the few months after Paige was born, I worked as dental assistant with my friend, Dr. H. She gave me a crash course in dentistry and off I went!

I started off by asking questions from the chart and recording answers while Dr. H did her exam. As I learned more and became confident, I assisted in simple procedures - cavities, x-rays, custom mouth guards, etc. I learned which tools were needed at what point, how to switch out instruments without disrupting the dentist, and I got to work with a friend :)

While it was a fun experience, it's not my career path but I definitely have a great respect for everything dental.


Meet Maria. She is one of the over 200,000 children who are born with cleft lip or cleft palate defects every year. This defect can be so severe that some kids are unable to eat, speak, socialize, or even smile. This is where Operation Smile comes in! They provide free, life-changing surgery to kids in need through the hard work of 5,000 medical volunteers and donations from you, me, and companies like Campus Book Rentals. Campus Book Rentals provides a donation to Operation Smile every time you rent textbooks from them (and if you're a college student, that's a lot of books!)

If you're interested in donating or becoming a volunteer, every little bit counts! Check out Operation Smile's website here for information on how you can contribute and give another child a change to smile :)

And thank you to Campus Book Rentals for bringing a great charity like Operation Smile to my attention! 


FTC disclosure: I was compensated by Campus Book Rentals for this post. All thoughts expressed within are my own.






No comments:

Post a Comment